As a Theatre major, you will practice your craft in the community with talented faculty, staff, and other students. In this environment, you will be challenged to consider not only your creative goals but your vocation in terms of how you can be of service in God’s world. Through a strong foundation in the liberal arts emphasizing critical thinking, effective communication, and scholarly research you are provided with real-world marketable skills and excellent preparation for graduate studies. To give depth to your creative experience, this program offers year-round opportunities for you to perform, design, direct, and manage, mentored by faculty and other local professionals.
If you decide to pursue a Theatre major, you must first audition for admission into the program and are expected to participate in productions each semester while maintaining good academic standing at Rochester University.
Program Learning Outcomes
The following learning outcomes are linked to assignments and activities throughout this program. After completing the program requirements:
- Students will analyze a play script using a variety of interpretive strategies.
- Students will synthesize script analysis into artistic expression through the visual, oral, kinesthetic, and written modes of communication found in acting, design, directing, and dramaturgy.
- Students will describe how theatre can reflect, promote, and challenge its cultural context.
- Students will articulate their personal beliefs, values, attitudes, and abilities in theatre in relation to the Christian story and service in God’s world.
- Students will demonstrate professional competency in communication, collaboration, creativity, and problem-solving.
Theatre majors must first audition to be admitted into the program. Students are expected to participate in productions each semester and must remain in good academic standing to participate.
- Theatre/Performance Technician
- Stage Manager
- Production Manager
- Marketing Assistant
- Worship Leader
- Arts Director
- Recording Artist
- Voiceover Artist