Rochester University plans to reopen campus for the fall 2020 semester with safety precautions and preparedness in place to protect students, employees and the community in light of the COVID-19 pandemic.
The university formed a COVID-19 Preparedness and Response Team in the spring to develop policies and procedures for the campus. The plan is guided by the recommendations and policies of local, state, and federal health and governmental officials, and is designed to be adaptable and responsive to the most current scientific and public policy developments.
President Brian Stogner said the university is committed to keeping its community safe while also maintaining its mission to prepare students for professional and personal success as they serve in God’s world. “We intend to provide a safe environment for all students to pursue their studies in a setting designed to protect their health and safety while ensuring academic quality,” he said.
The academic program will be delivered with face-to-face, hybrid and online classes. Social distancing, masks, enhanced sanitation procedures and other measures will be instituted.
Key elements of the fall reopening plan include:
- Social distancing for all classes and labs with limited class sizes
- Facemasks will be provided by RU and are required for all students/employees until CDC removes recommendation,
- Disinfecting across campus each day and in classrooms after each class
- Hand sanitizer stations positioned throughout campus and in each classroom
- Portable UV disinfecting scanners for labs/classrooms
- Webcams and microphones installed in each classroom for enhanced virtual viewing
- All classes can transition to virtual/online at any time needed
- Daily student and employee screening and symptom checklist with COVID-19 testing for anyone who displays or reports symptoms
- Residential students will have twice-daily screening and staggered meal schedules to increase social distancing
- RU is working closely with the Wolverine-Hoosier Athletic Conference and NAIA to determine next steps for intercollegiate sports.
Stogner said the Fall 2020 Campus Reopening Plan is subject to revision as new information and circumstances emerge. Classes for the fall semester are scheduled to begin on Aug. 29. To view the complete Campus Reopening Plan, click here.