Pulte Homes purchased land on the northeast side of campus for a new townhome community called The Groves at Rochester Hills.
“Residents of The Groves at Rochester Hills will find Rochester University to be a great neighbor. We welcome and encourage them to enjoy the outstanding collegiate sports, theater productions, and other enriching experiences of our beautiful campus,” President Brian Stogner said.
Tom Rellinger, RU executive vice president who oversaw the project, praised the community collaboration that occurred between Pulte Homes, the City of Rochester Hills and the university. “We had discussions with seven or eight developers and after months of negotiations, the offer from Pulte Homes was the strongest,” he said.
Rellinger listed several benefits of the land sale and development project for the university:
- Addition of $2.5 million to the university’s assets allows the institution to reduce its debt, focus on future capital projects, and improve its financial standing with the Department of Education.
- Extension of the road that circles campus, which will be called Warrior Way, with sidewalks lining both sides of the road.
- Continuation of frontage walkways to the Clinton River Trail so that the community can enjoy nature and activity without having to use busy roads.
- Construction of a joint detaining pond that RU will be able to use when it constructs new facilities on campus.
- Conservation of trees on the property behind the Groves. With about 1,100 trees on the entire property, Pulte has worked with the university and the City of Rochester Hills to retain as many trees as possible in addition to planting new trees for those that are removed.
“For years, community members have enjoyed winding nature trails, Lake Norcentra Park, and an abundance of other amenities our campus has to offer,” Rellinger said. “We are excited about the expanded residential opportunities Pulte will bring to the doorsteps of our university.”
Rochester Hills Mayor Bryan K. Barnett said, “We are excited to welcome The Groves at Rochester Hills to our city. In addition to providing another highly desirable housing option, the development will incorporate expanded access to the Cloverport Green Space, located to the north, and will also complete the pathway on the north side of Avon Road, improving our residents’ access to the Clinton River Trail in that area.”
Construction already has begun on the property. For more information about Pulte Homes and The Groves, go to www.pulte.com/thegroves.