Dr. Gordon E. MacKinnon
Professor of Psychology
Chair, Department of Psychology and Behavioral Sciences
Clinical Director, Psychology and Counseling Center
- Ph.D., University of Detroit Mercy
- M.A., Wayne State University
- B.S., Oakland University
- B.S., Rochester College
- Lifespan Development
- Child Development
- Adolescent Development
- Adulthood and Aging
- History and Systems of Psychology
- Psychology of Religion
- Introduction to Psychological Assessment
- Introduction to Psychotherapy and Counseling
- Substance Abuse and Addictive Behaviors
- Industrial/Organizational Psychology
- Introduction to Marital and Family Systems
- Psychology of Group Processes
- Ethics in Behavioral Science
- Marriage and the Family
- Pastoral Care
- Psychology and Theology of Horror, Science Fiction, and Fantasy
- Educational Psychology
Honors and Affiliations
- American Psychological Association (APA), Member.
- Michigan Psychological Association (MPA), Member.
- American Psychotherapy Association (APA), Fellow.
- Michigan Society for Psychoanalytic Psychology (MSPP), Member and Past Treasurer.
- Academy for the Study of the Psychoanalytic Arts, Member and Vice-President.
- National Council on Family Relations, Member.
- Certified Family Life Educator (CFLE) with the National Council on Family Relations.
- American Psycho-Oncology Society, Member.
- National Register of Health Service Providers in Psychology, Member.
- American College of Forensic Examiners (ACEFI), Member.
- Academy of Certified Chaplains – Advanced Level III.
- American Board of Certification in Homeland Security (ABCHS), Member.
- Certified in Homeland Security – Level II (CHS-II).
Professional and Academic Experience
- Chair, Department of Psychology and Behavioral Sciences, 2005-present.
- Clinical Director, Psychology and Counseling Clinic, 2005-present.
- Sponsor, Psi Chi: The International Society for Psychology, 2003-present.
- Licensed Clinical Psychologist, Clinical Psychology Supervisor, 1987-present.
- Psychologist, Havenwyck Adolescent Residential Treatment Center, Auburn Hills, Mi, 1996-2002.
- Psychologist, Wyandotte Hospital and Medical Center; Wyandotte, Michigan—Partial Hospitalization for Youth (PHY), 1994-1995.
- Psychology Post-Doctoral Intern, Wyandotte Hospital and Medical Center Psychology Clinic, 1995.
- Ph.D. Clinical Psychology Internship, Wyandotte Hospital and Medical Center; Wyandotte, Michigan (APA Accredited) 1993-1994.
- M.A. Psychology Practicum Student, Oakland University, Rochester, Michigan, 1986–1987.
- Support Group Leader, Beaumont Urology-USToo Prostate Cancer Support Group, 2008-present.
- American Red Cross Mental Health Disaster Response Team with the Michigan Psychological Association.
Gordon is married to Nancy Keller-MacKinnon, who teaches as an adjunct at Rochester College in Social Work and Early Education. They have a daughter, Ashley, who is a 2008 graduate of Rochester College. Gordon has maintained a private practice in Clinical Psychology for the past 26 years with children, adolescents and adults in Southeast Michigan. His experiences in psychiatric hospitals and with out-patient psychotherapy has included Behavioral and Neuropsychological evaluations, Marital and Family therapy, and Adolescent Residential treatment.
Publications and Presentations
- MacKinnon, G.E. (2012). The Walking (Un)Dead: Psychological Reflections on Survival in the Zombie Post-Apocalypse (or any Extreme Disaster). Unpublished manuscript.
- MacKinnon, G. E. (2011). Reflections on psychotherapy and cancer. Michigan Society for Psychoanalytic Psychology Newsletter (February, 2011).
- MacKinnon, G. E. (2006). Self-concept and psychological resilience in children victimized by terrorism: A review of the literature. Forum on Public Policy, Oxford University , London, England – July 1, 2006.
- MacKinnon, G. E. (2006). Marital dynamics and psychosocial adjustment in the first three years following the diagnosis and treatment of Prostate Cancer. Research grant proposal with the Lance Armstrong Foundation, Austin, Texas.
- MacKinnon, G. E. (1997). Locus of control, field independence/field dependence, mood disturbance, and stress response to a natural disaster film. Unpublished Dissertation, University of Detroit-Mercy.
- MacKinnon, G. E. (2010). Coping with stress in life. Lecture/discussion presentation, Beaumont Urology/USToo Prostate Cancer support group, William Beaumont Hospital – Royal Oak, Michigan, January 19, 2010.
- MacKinnon, G. M. (2008). Managing Stress during Cancer Treatment and Beyond. Lecture/discussion presentation, Karmanos Cancer Treatment Centers, Weisberg Cancer Treatment Center (March 24, 2010); Monroe Cancer Connection (April 14, 2010).
- MacKinnon, G. E. (2008). The emotional journey of prostate cancer. Lecture/discussion presentation, Beaumont Urology/USToo Prostate Cancer support group, William Beaumont Hospital – Royal Oak, Michigan, December 16, 2008.
- MacKinnon, G. E. (2007). Benefit-Finding in cancer research: A Psycho-oncology perspective for pastoral care. Lecture/discussion presentation at the Christian Scholar’s Conference, Rochester College, June 21, 2007.
- MacKinnon, G. E. (2007). Pastoral responses to crisis and loss. Lecture presentation for Elderlink at Rochester College, January 27, 2007.
- MacKinnon, G.E. (2006). Self-Concept and psychological resilience in children victimized by terrorism. Lecture/discussion presentation, Christian Scholar’s Conference, Rochester College, July 1, 2006.
- MacKinnon, G. E. (2006). Intimacy following prostate cancer. Lecture/discussion presentation, USToo Prostate Cancer Support Group, William Beaumont Hospital – Royal Oak, Michigan, June 13, 2006.
- MacKinnon, G. E. (2006). Managing stress in effective ways. Lecture/discussion presentation, Rochester College “The Shrink is In” series, March 23, 2006.
- MacKinnon, G. E. (2006). Managing anxiety and stress following Prostate Cancer. Lecture/discussion presentation, USToo Prostate Cancer Support Group, William Beaumont Hospital – Royal Oak, Michigan, January 10, 2006.
- MacKinnon, G.E. (2004). Passport to Retirement: Psychological issues in retirement. Presentation with Larry Stack, Certified Financial Planner, October 21, 2004.
- MacKinnon, G. and Stogner, B. (2004). Marriage and Family Living presentation at the Naperville Church of Christ in Naperville, Illinois, July 23-25, 2004.
- MacKinnon, G. and Stogner, B. (2004). Psychological Reactions to an Industrial Accident, presentation at the Christian Scholar’s Conference at Rochester College, July 15-17, 2004.
- MacKinnon, G. E. (1992). Development of a measure of post-traumatic stress disorder in post office employees following a critical incident shooting. Unpublished research with Paula Christian Kliger, Ph.D., University of Detroit-Mercy.