Dr. Mark Love
Graduate Program Director: MRE in Missional Leadership
- Ph.D., Luther Seminary
- D.Min., Abilene Christian University
- M.Div., Pepperdine University
- M.A., Abilene Christian University
- B.A., Abilene Christian University
- The Congregation
- Gospel and Cultures
- Leading the Missional Congregation
- Practical Issues in Ministry
- Contemporary Issues in Hermeneutics
- Hospitality as Leadership
- Mission of God: Salvation and Human Identity
- The Holy Spirit, Leadership, and Missional Communities
Honors and Affiliations
- Academy of Religious Leadership (2009-present)
- Society of Biblical Literature (2001-present)
- Academy of Homiletics (2001-present)
- Book Review Editor, Leaven Journal (2001-present)
- Managing Editor, Leaven Journal (1986-1993)
- Editorial Board Member, Leaven Journal (1986-present)
- Living Service Alumni Award, Cascade College, Sept, 2006.
- Outstanding Project Thesis Award, “Reimagining Evangelism at the East County Church of Christ,” Abilene Christian University, Doctor of Ministry, 1997.
Professional and Academic Experience
- Director, Graduate School of Religion; Master of Religious Education, Missional Leadership, Rochester College (2009-present)
- Assistant Professor of Ministry, Graduate School of Theology, Abilene Christian University (2001-2009)
- Director of Ministry Events, Abilene Christian University (2001-2009)
- Adjunct Professor of Bible, Columbia Christian College/Cascade College, Portland, Oregon (1991-2001)
- Minister of the Word, East County Church of Christ, Gresham, Oregon (1990-2001)
- Asst. Minister, Park Row Church of Christ, Arlington, Texas (1984-1990)
Mark served congregations in Texas and Oregon in full-time ministry for 17 years before moving into the world of academia. He consults with congregations across the United States who are interested in cultivating a missional identity. Mark relaxes by playing his guitar, working out and watching sports. He is learning to love Red Wings hockey. His son, Josh, lives in a new monastic community in Abilene, Texas.
Publications / Presentations
Publications - Books
- Love, Mark, Douglas A. Foster, Randall J. Harris, Seeking a Lasting City: The Church’s Journey in the Story of God. Abilene, TX.: ACU Press, 2005.
- Love, Mark. Matthew: Finding Treasure New and Old. Abilene, Texas: Hillcrest, 2000.
Publications - Articles
- “Missio Dei, Trinitarian Theology, and the Quest for a Post-colonial Missiology,” Missio Dei Journal (August, 2010).
- “Missional as a Socially-Embodied Trinitarian Theology of Participation: Reflections on Ecumenical Contributions to Missio Dei and Ecclesiology,” Missiology: An International Review (January, 2009).
- “Believe the Good News: Mark 1:15,” Preaching Mark’s Unsettling Messiah. Edited by David Bland and David Fleer. St. Louis: Chalice Press, 2006.
- “The Care of Souls: Pastoral Prayer,” Like a Shepherd Lead Us: Guidance for the Gentle Art of Pastoring. Edited by David Fleer and Charles Siburt. Abilene, Texas; ACU Press: 2006.
- “Though Mountains Shake in the Sea: Psalm 46,” Performing the Psalms. Edited by Dave Bland and David Fleer. St. Louis, MO: Chalice Press, 2005.
- “Going to Church in the Psalms: Psalm 89,” Performing the Psalms. Edited by Dave Bland and David Fleer. St. Louis, MO: Chalice Press, 2005.
- “The Word is Near to You: Preaching Beyond Analogy,” Leaven Journal. 11:4, 2003, 185-92.
- “Funding the Sermon with Gospeled Imagination: Reflections on Text and Sermon from Romans,” Preaching Romans. Abilene, Texas: ACU Press, 2002.
- “Sermons from Corinthians,” Preaching Autobiography. Abilene, Texas: ACU Press, 2001.
- “Living in the Peace of God: Perspectives from Romans,” Leaven Journal. 9:4, 2001, 205-209.
- “Have Mercy on Me, O God: Psalm 51,” Leaven Journal. 7:3, 1999, 148-157.
- “Nurturing Narrative Evangelists,” Leaven Journal. 7:2, 1999, 85-89.
- “Soteriology and Missional Imagination.” Christian Scholar’s Conference, Pepperdine University, June 2011.
- “Missio Dei, Trinitarian Theology and the Quest for a Post-Colonial Missiology.” Christian Scholar’s Conference, Lipscomb University, June 2010.
- “Beyond Translation: Mission After the Hermeneutical Turn.” American Society of Missiology, June 2008.
- “Worship and the Missional Church Movement.” Christian Scholar’s Conference, Rochester College, June 2007.
- “Beyond Faith and Learning.” The Southwest Conference on Christianity and Literature & Inscription, September 2006.
- “Missional Innovation, Abilene Christian University and the Churches of Christ.” Gospel and Our Culture Consultation, Luther Seminary, October 2005.
- “Practical Theology as a Way Beyond Integration of Faith and Learning.” Theology and the Christian University, Abilene Christian University, March 2005.
- “Though Mountains Shake in the Depths of the Sea: Psalm 46.” Rochester College Lectures on Preaching, May 2004.
- “From Text to Sermon in Romans.” Rochester College Lectures on Preaching, May 2001.
- “Recovering Gospeled Preaching.” Abilene Christian University Lectures on Preaching, September 2000.
- “Toward a Post-Liberal Theology of Evangelism.” Christian Scholars Conference, Pepperdine University, June 1997.