School of Education
The mission of the School of Education at Rochester University is to prepare teachers with Christian values who can effectively serve in the diverse and challenging schools and global communities of the twenty-first century.
Graduates of the program are teachers of understanding because they have gained a rich liberal arts education, acquired specialized knowledge in academic content areas, and completed a professional studies program. They are teachers with integrity because they have developed Christian values and high ethical standards. Lastly, they have hearts to serve because they have developed the attitudes and dispositions necessary to act as change agents in the diverse and challenging schools and communities of the twenty-first century.
- Early Childhood Studies (Accelerated Program), BS
- Elementary Education Certification Recommendation, BS
- Elementary Integrated Science Education, BS
- Elementary Language Arts Education, BS
- Elementary Math Education, BS
- Elementary Social Studies Education, BS
- Elementary Education with Early Childhood (ZS) Endorsement, BS
- Elementary Education with Learning Disabilities Major, BS
- Secondary Education Certification Recommendation, BS
- Secondary English Education, BS
- Secondary Integrated Science Education, BS
- Secondary Learning Disabilities, BS
- Secondary Math Education, BS
- Secondary Social Studies Education, BS
- Minors for Secondary Education Majors
Rochester University is authorized by the Michigan Department of Education (MDE) to recommend teacher candidates to the state for certification. The Michigan State Board of Education gave final approval to Rochester University’s Teacher Education Program on June 14, 2016.
Students completing the program achieved a cumulative 88.5% pass rate on the Teacher Certification Test according to the most recent report. The Teacher Education Program has applied for national accreditation through the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation, and currently is at candidacy phase in the process. Visit the MDE Rochester College Approved Educator Preparation site »