ALUMNI & GIVING
Every Warrior Has A Story
In August 2022, Rochester University embarked on a new project in partnership with Publishing Concepts Incorporated (PCI) to collect the stories of alums and friends. Over 600 stories were shared throughout this project. Rochester Retrospect will preserve the legacy of your RU experience, honor your memories, and provide the Warrior community a voice. The completed coffee table book will be mailed in October 2023.
The story does not end with the book. Rochester University was provided a grant by NetVUE to explore our institutional saga and to answer the question: How does RU’s heritage influence who we are now and where we want to go? Join us as we engage in answering this question through academic symposiums written and presented by RU faculty members.
We hope you share YOUR Rochester University story, but here are a few ideas to consider:
- Did a special faculty or staff member have a profound impact on your life?
- How did RU help you find God’s calling?
- Did you find your life companion walking around Lake Norcentra?
- Can you trace your vocational path back to a defining moment at RU?
- Have connections you made on campus turned into lifelong friendships?
- Were you on campus during a historical moment?
- Are you a RU legacy?
- As a friend of RU, what brought you to engage with the Warrior community?
We would never be able to tackle a project of this magnitude using only our resources. Partnering with PCI allows us access to their trained staff of real, thoughtful human beings who are excited to listen to what you have to share. PCI will collect and assemble the stories at no cost to Rochester University. We will have free access and the ability to share them with our community in perpetuity.
There is no cost for our alumni and friends to submit a story. PCI will inform storytellers of Rochester Retrospect products that are available for purchase, but there is no obligation to make a purchase. Our singular goal is to hear your stories. Additionally, we will have copies of the end product (a coffee table style book) available for the Warrior community to peruse at their leisure and free of charge in the RU Alumni Center, as well as at certain events.
Soon you will be receiving email and postcard communications from the PCI team with instructions on how to set up an interview time with a PCI team member. The PCI team will collect stories until about February 2023.
After that, they will enter a post-production phase of editing the data and requesting your approval (more details here). We hope to distribute the book in October 2023.
Additional Benefit: Reconnect with Rochester University
As part of this project, we are also taking this opportunity to help make it easier for you to stay connected to RU. PCI will help us collect updated contact information from those of you who may have moved and/or inadvertently lost touch with RU. We look forward to hearing from each and every one of you regarding your Warrior memories!
Frequently Asked Questions
- I received an email/postcard/phone call asking for my personal information and a story about Rochester University. Tell me more about the project. We have partnered with PCI (also known as Publishing Concepts) to produce a coffee table book called Rochester Retrospect for Rochester University. PCI is a family owned business based in Dallas, TX that has published directories for educational institutions, fraternities, sororities, and military organizations across the nation for over 100 years. This project allows us to hear about your personal experiences from your time at Rochester University and how the school helped shape your life since then. And, while we have you on the phone, we want to make sure your contact information is up to date.
- Does Rochester University benefit from this at all? Yes, in a few different ways:
- Updated Information – allows us to effectively communicate with and engage alumni and friends
- Legacy – sharing and collecting stories preserves the history of our school
- Pride – wearing apparel shows support and love for our school
- How do I know my information will only be used for Oral History Project purposes? PCI is committed to protecting your information. The names, addresses and information provided to PCI for the publication of the Rochester Retrospect will be held confidential by PCI, except to the extent that they are utilized in, or in the preparation of, the Rochester Retrospect and except as required by court order or law. Upon completion of the project, PCI will redact PII (Personal Identifiable Information) from any and all electronic files that we have supplied or were produced by PCI in connection with the production of the Rochester Retrospect.
- I would like to verify or update my information and share a story. How may I do this?
- If you have received a postcard or an email with a telephone number, you may call the number to speak with a dedicated representative for the Rochester Retrospect. The representative will verify all the information we have on file for you, make any updates where needed, and then ask you to share your story about Rochester University. Your story will be recorded and the sound clip provided to Rochester University at the conclusion of the project.
- If you have received an email with an embedded link, you may go to the online site to review your information and submit a story.
- If you did not receive a postcard or email, you may call the dedicated Rochester University update line at 1-877-810-2608.
- Can I choose what information prints in the publication? The only information that is included in the publication is your name, class year and degree (if applicable), along with your story and photo. No contact information is printed. When you call to update your contact information, it will only be used to update your record for RU. You may revoke consent for your story and/or photo to appear any time before December 9, 2022 by contacting PCI’s customer service helpdesk at 1-800-982-1590 / firstname.lastname@example.org.
- I updated my information but need some more time to think about what experience to share. You can call back at any time before December 9, 2022 to share your story.
- I shared a story and the representative said I could send some photos. How do I do this? You will receive an email with a link to upload up to two photos (black and white or color) plus captions. If you have also purchased a book but do not have an email address on file, you will be sent a photo mailer to send physical photos in to be printed (note: photos will be returned if you include a self-addressed, stamped envelope).
- Can anyone purchase a book? The Rochester Retrospect is available for sale only to the Rochester University community.
- When will I receive my book? The total duration of the Rochester Retrospect is about 12 months. Since we began the project in August 2022, the books will be distributed in August – October 2023.
- I ordered a book / package over the phone and would like to cancel my order. How do I do this? Contact PCI’s customer service helpdesk at 1-800-982-1590 and they will take care of this for you.