Financial Aid for Veterans

Rochester University appreciates your service and valor as a veteran of the U.S. armed forces, and we welcome the opportunity to assist you and your family in accessing the educational benefits and financial aid that you deserve.

Eligibility and Guidelines if_right_arrow_476325_white

If you are a military veteran or an immediate family member of a veteran, deceased or permanently disabled as the result of service, you may qualify for assistance. For information, contact the Veterans Administration Office.

As an RU student, you may receive credit for training in the armed services or previous coursework by sending an official transcript from each institution to the Academic Services Office. Academic Services must receive transcripts by the end of the first semester of enrollment. Some general education requirements may be waived based upon age, the number of hours completed, and appropriate work experience. Please discuss this possibility with your admissions recruiter. Please note: Records of academic work completed at Rochester University may be released to other institutions and agencies only upon written request.

To be certified for Veterans Administration benefits the Veteran must submit to the college’s Veterans Administration Representative within Student Financial Services, his or her Certificate of Eligibility Letter showing which benefit he or she qualifies for.

Each semester the Representative will certify enrollment on the Veterans VAONCE online enrollment reporting system. Please keep in mind that if a student adds or drops a class, or even stops attending a class, this information must be reported to Veterans Affairs. This could cause interruption of benefits or an overpayment that must be repaid directly to Veterans Affairs before receiving future benefits. Schedule changes are monitored monthly by the University’s representative, but it is helpful to alert the representative by email at when a class is added, changed sections, dropped/withdrawn, or registered for a subsequent semester to help ensure timely reporting.

Students who are certified for Veterans Administration benefits but who fail to obtain the minimum cumulative GPA within one semester after being placed on financial aid warning may not be recertified until their cumulative GPA meets the minimum standards identified in the Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy. Rochester University informs the Veterans Administration when students are not recertified due to lack of academic progress. While this policy does not affect the University’s policies regarding financial aid probation and suspension, those policies do affect certification for veteran’s benefits. Students within one semester (12 hours) of graduation may continue to be certified for veterans’ benefits only with a cumulative GPA of 2.00 or higher, which meets requirements for both the Bachelor’s and Associate’s degrees.

The above policies regarding certification for veteran’s benefits supersede any and all previous statements of these policies.

Basic Benefit Info

Enrollment certifications are mailed to the student each semester when completed.

  • Ch 30/1606(7): GI Bill – the VA pays the veteran directly a monthly stipend that can be applied towards tuition. Students must still follow one of the same designated payment options as non-veteran students.
  • Ch 31: Vocational Rehabilitation – the Veteran must submit their 22-1905 form to Student Financial Services. The Student Financial Services Office will bill the VA directly for tuition, mandatory fees, books, and supplies.
  • Ch 35: Dependents of Veterans – the VA pays the same as a Ch 31 student. To ensure proper payment and set-up please be sure to submit the parent SSN associated with the benefits to Student Financial Services. The VA pays the student, and the student will need to pay their bill with Student Financial Services.
  • Ch 33: Post 9/11 GI Bill – the VA pays the University directly for tuition and mandatory fees only. Students receive a monthly housing allowance directly from the VA, based on enrollment status.


Department of Veterans Affairs or 1-888-442-4551
Rochester University: Jessica Archambeau