Dr. Cynthia S. Clark
Program Chair, Early Childhood Education
Associate Professor of Education
- Ph.D. Education: Early Childhood Studies, Oakland University
- M.A.C.T., Michigan State University
- B.S. & Z.A., Oakland University, cum laude
- Constructive Education to Create Developmentally Appropriate Learning Environments
- Curriculum and Content Areas in Early Childhood
- Diversity Issues in Early Childhood
- Assessment of the Young Child
- Emerging Language & Literacy
- Leadership Issues in Early Childhood
- Math & Science for Young Children
- Creative Arts for Young Children
Professional Training & Affiliations
- Zero to Three Training of Trainers Certification, The Growing Brain: From Birth to 5 Years Old, 2018
- Project Zero Classroom (PZC) Professional Education, Harvard Graduate School of Education, 2018
- Member, American Educational Research Association (AERA)
- Member, National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC)
- Member, Society for Research in Child Development (SRCD)
Publications & Presentations
- Author (manuscript in preparation), Examining Kindergarten Teachers’ Views: What Does Dramatic Play Have to do with Self-Regulation Development?
- Presenter, The Child’s Brain and Everyday Play. Presentation, HighScope International Conference, Detroit, 2019.
- Presenter, The Child’s Brain and Everyday Play. Presentation, Michigan Association for the Education of Young Children Annual Conference, Grand Rapids, 2019.
- State Team Member, National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC) Public Policy Forum, Washington, D. C., 2019.
- Co-Presenter (Claxton, J., Homant, K., DeHooghe, L, Gardner, S., Wakabayashi, T., & Clark, C.), Identifying literacy-promoting strategies in publicly-funded preschool classrooms. American Educational Research Association Annual Meeting, New York, 2018.
- Webinar Facilitator: Conference follow-up webinar for Prof. Tomoko Wakabayashi, featuring Dr. Jennifer Champagne, Oakland Schools Five Critical Practices to Promote Social-Emotional Wellness, 2018.
- Invited Presenter, Tokyo Gakugei University Preschool, Japan, Oakland University and Dr. Tomoko Wakabayashi, 2018.
- Invited Professional Development Presenter, Early Childhood Self-Regulation Development Workshop, Grand Blanc Community School District, 2017.
Cynthia was born 2nd of ten siblings, so she has always been around young children and hopes to always be around young children. She is blessed with four talented and adventurous adult children and now enjoys spending a lot of time sitting on the floor with husband Ken, playing with three precious grandchildren.
Cynthia is a former preschool, kindergarten, and first grade teacher, GSRP preschool director, and preschool owner. Her personal mission is to make the world a better place for as many children as possible, and one way she intends to do that is through serving the Adjunct Instructors and the Early Childhood Education students here at Rochester University.
When Michigan weather permits, Cynthia enjoys running on local trails, gardening, and Plein air painting with oils, acrylics, and pastels. She and Ken love northern Michigan’s beaches, dunes, woods, and small towns.